Wednesday, September 28, 9707

What's For Dinner Tomight?

I do not get to watch her show as frequently as I would like because of homeschool schedule, getting meals made and tending to our rambunctious 2 1/2 year old, but I do love to watch Rachael Ray.
Sweet Waby asked me what I like about her and I explained that I like her vibrant personality and what I appreciate about her recipes is she cooks like me! She throws in this and that, rarely measures with spoons or cups and gives you tips for adapting a recipe to what you may have on hand. Though she does sometimes get elaborate with ingredients, most of her recipes are everyday foods that I usually have in my kitchen.
When I watch her shows I often get inspired by her What's For Dinner Tonight? segment. It is easy to get in a cooking rut and a few of her recipes can get me enjoying cooking again.

Here is the recipe for what we had for supper tonight, Fish with Chowder Gravy and Sour Cream and Chive Smashed Potatoes.

We used the fish we had in the freezer which was White Pollock, I'm sure you could substitute any firm, white fish. Halibut was Rachael Ray's choice and is usually out of our price range. :-)


After the bacon was about halfway done I added one finely chopped up carrot. I like to add a little color and a little more nutrition in my recipes. I also used green onion instead of white as we love the flavor of green. However, if I would have had red onion on hand I would have used that.

Here is the Chowder Gravy. The bacon added a delicious, smoky flavor. We all agreed that this by itself would make a VERY tasty soup, just thin it out a bit with more half & half and chicken stock.

Sweet Waby smashed the potatoes.
He had to pick out some chives because he accidentally used the WHOLE package. OOPS!!!
They turned out VERY YUMMY! He added a little milk and a TBSP of BUTTER for extra creaminess and we only used half the sour cream Rachel Ray did because Husband doesn't like sour cream. Sweet Waby also added pepper, a sprinkle of dried garlic and a few shakes of his favorite spice.

Our finished product was SCRUMPTIOUS!
EVERYONE loved it even little Ya-Ya. Husband wants it again.
Halibut With Corn Chowder Gravy And Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes

No comments: