Monday, April 02, 2007

Traffic in Lima


I am very disappointed as I thought I had shot several pictures depicting the various modes of transportation and the traffic in Lima. However, after downloading my photos, I had only a few.
The driving in Lima is OH MY GOSH! I can´t believe people survive, seriously.
No one regards lanes and often drive down the middle of the road. A typical two or three lane road will have five or more rows of cars.
Pedestrians will cross anywhere and vehicles do not stop for them, do not slow down and just honk their horns.
There aren´t turn lanes and cars will often make a left turn from the right laneor a right hand turn from the left lane.
I have not seen any posted speed limits, which doesn´t really matter in the city because there is so much traffic that continually slows everyone down.
People drive with their horn, meaning they honk all the time: "lookout I am turning, don't get in my lane, don´t cross the street as I am not stopping, quit going so slow"....
Buses and taxis stop in the middle of the road for a pedestrian who flags them down. Some of the buses called coaster have hagglers hanging out the side trying to get passengers to ride with them. They yell out destinations and how much they charge. There ar many of them in competiton and long lines of them at intersections trying to entice people to ride.
It is crazy!!!!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: